Sunday, February 14, 2010

Appreciating CNY

I am usually quite ambivalent towards CNY. On one hand, i am happy to have a break and it's a real bonus to be able to enjoy the CNY goodies and see some relatives which i only see once a year; on the other, it can be quite a nuisance when relatives ask the same questions or say the same thing every year!

Last CNY, one of my uncles had LL lymphoedema. I told him to get a thorough check cos it could be a sign of something sinister. This uncle makes one of the best teochew braised duck and i look forward to visiting him every yr.

My heart really sank just now when he told me this might be his last cny making braised duck for the family cos his dr told him tt he has an estimated 6-12mth to live :( :(

I realised that we often assume the best possible outcome for our loved ones. I told my dad to follow up on my uncle's condition last yr and he kinda assumed he should be fine since he didnt update my dad. And i, i accepted what my dad said and thot mb my uncle has filiarsis from growing up and walking ard barefooted in kampong.

I could tell my cousin is qt affected, but we were all qt comforted that my uncle is trying to live life to the fullest and doing things he enjoy most. After my mbbs, i shall hope to keep in touch more with my extended family :)

This CNY has reminded me that if not for CNY every year, i might really be totally clueless abt what goes on in my extended family.