Monday, March 09, 2009

Patiently Patient

I've come to realise that i AM a very confusing person, cos contrasting extremes always coexist in me. For example, i can be intro/extrovert, patient/impatient, not fussy BUT particular etc. Seriously, some of my friends who often see the exceedingly extroverted side of me will find it unbelievable that i am by default more of an introvert and friends who often see the antisocial side of me will not believe i can be an extrovert at times ;)

Today, i realised tt i can be damn patient with patients that most people get real frustrated with like the old, demented, stubbornly non-compliant or patients that speaks only their native foreign tongue. Somehow, I could easily spend hours by their bedside trying to build the rapport or figure out what they've been trying to convey, but i become damn impatient when it comes to waiting around when there's nothing to do. I must say today i was qt unaccustomed after switching from busy cardio to very-not-so-busy ophthalmo. I almost died when i had nothing constructive to do for 4 hrs!

I dont know if u can understand... In cardio, no matter how busy my tutor may be, there was always the patients and MOs in the wards to fall back on to keep myself occupied, but it's not the case in Ophthalmo.

OK, I shall stop complaining cos today, my day was saved by a surprisingly fruitful albeit short clinic :)

May there continue to be plenty of surprises in the wks to come! :)

Lastly, i just thought of another 2 extremes in me. I can be damn forgetful (especially when it comes to things i really need to know) but my memory is damn gd for useless things. Can u believe it? I recognised wenhui's COFM patient from a far and i actually rmbr his name and wenhui later confirmed that i was right.

Hopefully i can one day discover a way tap on this seemingly untapped brain reserve for academic purposes.