Thursday, February 05, 2009

God and Delusion

I like the idea of having someone who would listen to me any time.. That's probably why i pray cos i've been brought up to believe there is someone who is always listening.

Interestingly, i had this idea when i was young that God is always busy answering all our prayer calls, like literally picking up a phone or a transmission. I believe i have asked my parents how it is possible for him to listen to ALL of us at once if we pray together. The thought is qt funny isnt it?

For a moment ystdy, it occurred to me that all my prayers said is based on the assumption that someone is listening. If it is a false belief, all these would be a delusion from a psychiatric point of view.

That said, i believe i will continue to pray until i have a very gd reason not to, especially when a physical person is not within reach.

A fren said that it is unfathomable why a person would pray when a light bulb is not lighting up when the most logical solution is to find a light bulb replacement. I'd agree with you if you are considering a person who prays and does nothing about it. Diagrammatically, if the problem is Point A and solution is Point B, a logical solution will be straight forward and hence a straight line joining the 2 points. Prayer can come into the picture with the analogy of it first plotting the dotted lines between the 2 points (in preparation of the solid line).

I'm not disagreeing with anybody. I'm just trying to understand how prayer can come into the picture literally :)

To put it into context, imagine u have a damn big exam ahead which u feel all jittery abt it cos there's damn a lot to study and u don't know where to start. Logical solution is to start studying asap, 'cos the more time u spend wallowing in fear, the more time is wasted and the less time u have to solve the problem. I think for me the most important thing i can do first is to calm myself down and plan properly how i am going to go about to solve the problem. Incidentally, it works best for me to talk to somebody. Which better somebody is a better listener who doesnt reply directly and is always available?

I suppose for people who see prayers like me, it is not as important just who is listening and unless feeling better after prayers is seen as a divine intervention, it doesnt necessarily equate to the existence of god.

I've been trying to understand a lot of things of late and there are a lot of things i can find an answer to. I guess i shall take it slowly and hope the answer will slowly reveal itself :)