Monday, June 14, 2004

Simply Splashing

I've been reading lotsa interesting books lately and i've learnt a lot too! My mom thinks i'm mad and said that i ought to start with my work proper (yaa... actually i know i should *smile*)
This book abt soap particularly interests me. I'm actually considering making a soap for my dad for Father's day:)
Anyway, i found out that when the Roman Empire declined with the rise of Christianity, appalling filth spread throughout Europe. Apparently, the clergy shuddered at the debauchery and promsicuity that took place in Roman baths and condemned parishioners who bathed. Interestingly, for the next 10 centuries, the faithful believed that the holy sanctity of baptism could only be retained without bathing. Can you imagine that? I thought it was really funny how the historians coined the era "the one thousand years of filth."
Hmm... even after the emergence of soap, the taxes were so high that personal hygiene still remained terrible. To my horror, even the royalties bathed like 3 times in their life time??? At that time, body odours were masked with heavy perfumes and dirt was covered with thick layers of powder. Now we know why those Victorians look so white!
Talking abt soaps and bathing. I really like splashing in water. I've always thought it's a simple reward to myself to take a relaxing bath :) Too bad i don't have a bath tub :(

No comments: