Thursday, February 01, 2007

西医

Y'know how the older generation always say 西医治标不治本 and 西医 really 头痛医头、脚痛医脚? It's so true! I was charting my temp when i realised that after i take my anti-pyretic medication, my temperature will fall, but rises eventually. It's the same for the pain killers. My aches and pain return too! Anyway, i was a little amused by my doc today. I've been feeling nauseous, lost my appetite and have this perpetual headache the whole of today, so i decided to call the clinic to ask if these are expected effects of the medicine or if they're new symptoms. The doc who saw me wasnt on duty, so when i told the other doc my symptoms, he said,"That can be fixed, how abt i prescribe u anti-vomiting drugs?"
I didnt know what to say really, cos i was expecting an ans like,"Maybe it has to do with the viral fever u have" or sth smart lar. Anyway, i told him i'm not too keen in taking more drugs then he asked, "You sure u dont want the anti-emetics? Do u have any anti-vomiting drugs to curb the discomfort?"
I replied,"Ya, i have 酸梅。"
After i hung up the phone, i realised that symtomatic treatment of patients may not always be gd. Just like how some docs may prescribe anti-diarrhoea when patients complain of diarrhoea. Sometimes diarrhoea is a physiological response to remove whatever that is irritating the gut. Just think abt how wrong it sounds to give anti-diarrhoea medicine now.
Interestingly, i was wondering, how does a doctor monitor the course of the illness if symptomatic treatment is already given? Anyone has any idea?