Friday, September 21, 2007

Analogy

I've been wanting to post abt this for some time but i just keep forgetting!



Anyway, each time i play the piano, esp with pieces that requires a lot of pedal, i'd be reminded of driving a manual car in a bad jam :) In a jam, i'd have to step on the clutch and hold it there cos i will have to change gear 1 to gear 2 and back to 1 repeatedly. Playing pieces that needs the pedal give me the same ache i get when i drive, except i get it on a different foot :) Quite interesting right!

I was also thinking both driving and piano playing requires a lot of coordination too!

Hmm.. i havent been sleeping enough and i must say i'm proud to have survived the day. Perhaps i still have the energy to blog cos for once i have no tuition on Friday!

On a whole, i like my day a lot! I guess it's cos i learnt some really cool stuff today. If you're not a medical student, u might not understand the next chunk of my rumblings. You can ask me to explain when i next see you though!

Did you know that your tongue and pharyngeal muscles are respiratory muscles? This is evident by EEG demonstrating muscle activity that corresponds to respiration. Also, in the event of induced hypercapnia, the muscle activity increases like all other respiratory muscles. When you breathe in, your thoracic cavity increases, that's when pressure falls and a gradient is generate for air to flow in. Now.. the part that amazed me is... Because ur upper airway is not surrounded by the pleura which has (-ve) pressure to keep the lungs stuck to the chest wall, the upper airway has tendency to collapse. Your tongue and pharyngeal muscles have to come in to keep the airway patent. (many other new knowledge amazed me today.. but i should not bore you and i should stop with only one example) :)

Besides getting reminded of my piano and driving have similarities, i realised tt i've been playing my piano quite regularly lately. I dont play for a long time, but a few minutes each day is all i need to make my day complete! It's always so ironic... the more free i am, the more time i waste, the less i accomplish. The busier i am, i seem to have more drive to do more! Being able to play croatian rhapsody (or at least part of it) would be a cool byproduct of my busy medicine schedule. yay :)

I suspect i'm someone who needs to look forward to sth to keep myself going. Perhaps i close my eyes at night looking forward to the wonderful knowledge that awaits to be learnt the next day. I'd wake up looking forward to breakfast, impromptu early morning tut by zhai pple or the hot tea/coffee/yuanyang at ttsh. I'd then look forward to lunch and i'd look fwd to dinner and playing the piano when i'm on my way home. When the new wk starts, I also look forward to weekend to keep myself happy. I'm just forever looking fwd to something i feel.

Well, i have no idea if it's a gd or bad thing. I guess, as long as i'm happy :)

I'm so tired... bedtime soon! :)