Friday, May 02, 2008

Mid Posting Crisis Not

I spent my official last day at KKH today and it also marks the midpoint of my 8 week paediatrics posting.

Y'know, val and i really felt that we havent learnt very much. In retrospect, i cant quite pinpoint where i went wrong, was it cos of my plain laziness, lack of motivation or was it cos we were just unfortunate tt our assigned tutors were either always away, avoiding or ignoring us or was it both?

Hmm.. whatever the case is, i'm hoping NUH will make up for my knowledgelessness, but hopefully not in a demoralising way. Already the thought of travelling to the west everyday is putting me off. hai

ANYWAY, i had a funny thought on my way home just now. Paeds should actually be a little easier for me cos i have a slight advantage over my friends for having a little anomaly here and there which can help me rmbr them. For example,

1. I may have Trisomy 21 cos i have epicanthic fold (especially of my left eye). Dont know what it is? I can accentuate it for u if u ask :) haha

2. I have been told since TTSH Med that i have a wide carrying angle. Maybe i have Turner's Syndrome. Probably a mosaic if u ask me cos i havent found the other features. Then i should worry about coarctation right?

Photobucket

3. I was motivated to learn about Growth disorders cos i always have the above picture etched in my head. U know, i've always wondered why i am not taller (my dad was hoping i could grow to 1.70 or 1.68 at least!), and i thought perhaps it is cos i was tall when i was young and my epiphyseal sorta closed earlier. It is in paeds that i learn tt i'm just fortunate enough not to take after my mother and unfortunate to not benefit from my dad's height. Oh well, for those who are interested, u can find out about urs too!

Let F = Father's height, M = Mother's height

If u're a boy, to find mid-parental height,
[F+(M+13)]/2

If u're a girl, to find mid-parental height,
[M+(F-13)]/2

You should be MPH +/- 7 cm.

Pretty cool eh?

Actually there's a lot more i wish i can type abt. There are so many cute terms like 'rocker bottom feet' and 'sausage-shaped' mass which i feel that the very fact tt i find them cute will help me rmbr them :)

At the end of it all, maybe i DO know abit here and there afterall.

The THING that made up for everything is actually this...

Photobucket

It was damn cool la! I totally enjoyed the movie and i was in awe with the technology and gadgets. Gd thing i went ahead with my cg boys to watch this despite jason saying,"u sure u want to watch not? it's a damn guy show."

Girl or guy... i'm sure u'll totally love it :) Please watch it!