Saturday, August 02, 2008

the other option

Photobucket

I just read wenyang's blog and what he wrote got me thinking about how life different would be if i hadnt gone to RJC. Y'know, i realise in life there are many questions we'd never know the answers to. We may speculate that if we had chosen the other option, life could be better or more interesting, but the truth is, we'd never know. Interestingly, there'll never be a basis for comparison, just like if i had gone to another jc, i would be wondering what it would be like if i had stayed in the rafflesian family.

Just like yang, i got reminded about JC at jianping's house ystdy. Sam asked me which JC i was from and guessed that i was from HC. Not surprising cos it's not the first time anyway :) I rmbr how kenny asked me in year 2 which class i was from in HC cos he has never seen me in school! Ystdy, the NJC people were shocked to hear that i considered going NJC before. The conversation then went on about how school spirit-less the school is and how i should be thankful that i didnt make the wrong choice.

The truth is, i did consider going NJC because i really wanted to take german to a new level. I was good in German! It was made a more difficult decision cos my most encouraging friend in german class has already decided to take the course up. Well, i can only speculate what it could be like now. Perhaps i'd be doing some degree in german, doing something else on a road less traveled, OR i could be in in Medicine nevertheless. I wouldnt know :)

I realise i haven't written this on my blog before and i dont really know how many people i have shared this with. It wasnt easy deciding which JC i wanted to go cos i had to decide among so many factors. Some of them would be:
1. New environment
2. Familiar faces, finally seeing ur RI counterparts in the same school
3. Distance to travel
4. School culture

Interestingly, 20 mins before the JAE (is it called JAE?) closed, HC was still my first choice. After speaking to my dad, kor and qiantai and a click on the mouse, i shifted RJC up and submitted the form.

It really wasnt an easy decision to make cos i really wanted a change in environment which Yang persisted on and went to HC. There were so many things going against RJC actually... like
1. Damn far
2. Sch building is damn old
3. Same old culture

In retrospect, i realise my life was steered away from the original intended direction twice. My dream secondary school was TKGS and in a way HC too. Interestingly, if i had gone to TKGS, whether to go RJC might not be a question at all since there were only at 2 TKGS girls i knew of in RJC. I'm not that likely to consider RJC i think.. But then again, i would never know. I could be the 3rd TKGS girl too. haha

I cannot speak for yang, but i believe we prob do not regret the decision we made cos our respective decisions has offered us a lot. On one hand, he feels that there is a lack of continuity of the good times he had in RJC, on the other, i question why i didnt let myself try a a new enviroment. I guess, it's inevitable that the curosity for the outcome of the other option will always remain cos we'd never know :)

Photobucket