Thursday, February 07, 2008

The Little Prince

I finally got down to read The Little Prince after i lost myself in the german copy Der Kleine Prinz some years ago :) I just couldnt get pass the first few chapts without doubting my true understanding of what's going on... but now tt i've read it in English, i'm quite glad tt i rmbr reading abt Boa Constrictors :)

I got my hands on this book at a right time. Cos when i was ill, i read it whenever i wasnt sleeping or doing other things :) Perhaps i should read it in German some day too.

Anyway, i like how the book taught me a lot thru a simple parable. Sometimes it makes me wonder if inspiration i draw from a bk was the intention of the author, or was what the author pen down just a mere confluence of all his creativity. This is why i feel that literature is subjective. What we interpret is possibly not what the author had in mind actually! Then again it doesnt matter, if u're not sitting for a Lit exam :)

My fave quote from the book is "It is with the Heart that one can see rightly; what's essential is invisible to the eye'. I think this serves as a good reminder for me to follow my heart sometimes :)

For those of u who have read the book... i wonder if my fave part of the book is the same as yours. I like the part about the fox.

So the little prince tamed the fox. And when the hour of his departure drew
near–
“Ah,” said the fox, “I shall cry.”
“It is your own fault,” said the little prince. “I never wished you any sort of
harm; but you wanted me to tame you. . . ”
“Yes, that is so,” said the fox.
“But now you are going to cry!” said the little prince.
“Yes, that is so,” said the fox.
“Then it has done you no good at all!”
“It has done me good,” said the fox, “because of the color of the wheat
fields.” And then he added:
“Go and look again at the roses. You will understand now that yours is
unique in all the world.


After u get to know somone, that someone will never be just a person or name.

From how the fox allowed himself to be tamed, i had this thought..
Sometimes we allow ourselves to do things we know tears will follow. Perhaps sometimes it matters more that someone/something once occupied a special place in our hearts.

For some reasons... like this line too
"It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important."
It made me think abt the sacrifices i have made, some of which are not worthwhile. Worthless sacrifices are still sacrifices and they were made on the basis that something was important, or i so thought.

I actually like the emphasis on "boas from the outside and boas from the inside" pictures cos it not only contrasted the diff between how a child and an adult think and see things, it also reminds us that we should never forget abt the child in us. I think life is happier if we think back on how simple life was, how carefree we once were and how happier (for some of us) we used to be.

I will definitely read this bk again. I believe i will get different things out for it each time :)